I’ve officially been in Cambodia for a month now. Part of me feels like I’ve been here forever, and part of me can’t believe I’ve already been here a month. Because I don’t have a big long post in me today, I’ve decided to give you two lists – new things I’ve done in Cambodia and things I miss about home. Maybe I’ll make this into a monthly thing. No promises on that though.
Things I’ve done:
– Eaten rice everyday
– Eaten pork everyday
– Gained a mother, 2 younger sisters, 1 younger brother, a grandmother, many cousins, aunts, uncles and friends who rarely understand what I’m saying, but are very patient
– Held many conversations in a brand new language
– Learned to always use my hands when I talk
– Worn a skirt almost everyday
– Gone to school six days a week every week
– Washed my laundry by hand
– Eaten rolls with some sort of green substance inside
– Gone to bed before 9:30 every night and gotten up by 6 everyday
– Been stared at a lot
– Shouted “hello” more times than I ever have in America
– Ridden my bike every single day
– Been in cars that narrowly missed hitting multiple people (only the Americans are bothered when this happens)
Things I miss:
– Portland restaurants
– Showing my knees and shoulders aka wearing shorts and tank tops
– Though I’m not homesick yet, I miss my friends and family in America
I’m sure my lists will get longer in the 4 weeks I have left in training before I move to my permanent site. I’m still having a great time and learning tons? Thanks for reading. I’d love to hear from you.
20 days until kickoff. Go Ducks!